January 25, 2009

Hi! It's my first post!


Hi. Welcome to my blog. I'm thinking that as I try to make this puppy look just perfect, that it might be nice to actually have something to post. Here goes:

I'm Hannah. I'm the owner and designer of Anbeads LLC.
You can see my stuff at anbeadsjewelry.com. I design and make my own line of beaded jewelry. I make necklaces, bracelets and earrings, but even better, I design bracelets for medical identification tags (those bracelets that people wear so that if they get into trouble, that anybody rendering care will be able to find out what their medical condition is).

How did I start making medical alert bracelets? My daughter got sick, and has to wear one. She wore a store bought one for a few years, but then, at the ripe old age of 6, decided that they were just too awful (let's face it- stainless steel cable chains just aren't very attractive). As a mother of many talents, I just put my design skills to work. Now she has a wardrobe of pretty crystal and glass bracelets for her tag.

But that's getting ahead of the story. Why did I start making jewelry? I had to go to a black tie wedding 3000 miles from my home. I had to pack black tie clothing and clothing for a 7 day vacation into one suitcase. Fancy, fussy clothing just isn't my thing, and I had no desire to figure out how to pack cocktail clothes so that they would stay nice, all wadded up. I ended up with a black "travel knit" outfit that could only be worn with good jewelry. Since I wasn't about to pay money for the nasty stuff that the sales lady showed me, I decided to make my own. I'd never made jewelry before, but I am an artist. I had so much fun making the necklace and earrings that I designed, and I was so pleased with my creations, that I felt sure that other people would like it too.

And it turned out that I was right! I took my shy bones into a gift shop (I decided that the worst thing that would happen would be that they wouldn't buy anything), and the owner bought the necklace right away! And she asked me to make some more, so that her husband could sell them to other gift shops that he knew about. I don't even have a picture of the first necklace I ever made....... (the picture here is a more recent creation)



1 comment: